Choosing the right dog for your family is a big decision. Take our dog breed selector quiz to find the ideal dog breeds for your home, lifestyle and family.
1. What type of home/living space do you have?
It's bigger than a closet, so I call it an apartment
2. How big is your yard?
None—but my NEXT house will have a yard
Medium (mowing doesn't take all day)
Large enough to help me forget I've got neighbors
3. Where is your home?
Suburb or small town
Rural retreat (listen, you can hear the grass growing)
4. Are you able to keep a dog secure?
5. For how long would your dog be alone each week?
Not at all
More than 40 hours
6. Do elderly or disabled people stay with you?
7. What is your age group?
8. What is the age of the youngest child living in or regularly visiting your home?
Under 5 years
Ages 6 to 11
9. How active are you?
Not very active
10. How energetic should your dog be?
"You don't really expect me to fetch that ball, do you?"
"Let's play catch—but don't make me run around too much"
"This is fun, throw the ball again!"
"Why are you stopping? We've only been playing for 3 hours!"
11. How much daily exercise will you give your dog?
None, I'm basically a couch potato
More than 1 hour
12. What size dog are you looking for?
Toy: Compact enough to call my lap "home"
Large enough for people to say, "Now THAT's a dog!"
I don't care
13. How much money are you willing to spend each week to feed your dog?
More than $35
14. How long do you want your dog's coat to be?
I don't care
15. How often will your dog be groomed each week?
Let's not go overboard, once a week should do it
Two or three times a week
Every day (I'm a neat freak—and proud of it!)
16. Do you want a dog that will protect your property?
No, I'm looking for a cream puff
He should bark loud enough to make strangers think twice
Yes, I want a "Beware of Dog" dog
17. Have you owned a dog before?