No one needs to tell you that your Shih Tzu is adorable, friendly, and intelligent. But what else do you know about this fascinating breed? Take our Shih Tzu Pop Quiz and test your knowledge.
True or False?
- The name Shih Tzu literally means "lion dog."
- The Shih Tzu is an active breed that requires a great deal of exercise.
- The Shih Tzu is more prone to separation anxiety than other dogs.
- The Shih Tzu gets along well with cats.
- A Shih Tzu's coat can completely change color in the first year of his life.
- Another nickname for the Shih Tzu is the "Rose Dog."
- Though small in size, the Shih Tzu makes a great watchdog.
- The Shih Tzu was first recognized by the AKC in 1969.
- TRUE. In traditional Chinese, Shih Tzu literally means "Lion Dog." The breed's lion-like facial features were revered in Imperial courts because Buddha was said to have rode to earth on the back of a lion.
- FALSE. Though he is lively and loves to play, he needs minimal exercise.
- TRUE. More than most other breeds, Shih Tzus need a great deal of companionship and do not like being left alone for more than a few hours.
- TRUE. The Shih Tzu is considered a feline-friendly breed.
- TRUE. The breed is well known for changing coat colors as he enters adulthood.
- FALSE. The Shih Tzu is sometimes referred to as the "Chrysanthemum Dog" because his face resembles that of a flower.
- TRUE: His lively attitude and bark make him a very good watchdog.
- TRUE: The Shih-Tzu was recognized by the AKC in the United States in 1969.
What's your Shih Tzu I.Q.:
0-2 Correct - Back to canine finishing school
3-5 Correct - You're not a dog whisperer yet
5-7 Correct - Call yourself a smart Shih Tzu owner
7-8 Correct - You're top dog!